Sri Lanka declares state of emergency after president flees to Maldives


Demonstrators shout slogans and wave Sri Lankan flags during an anti-government protest inside the office building of prime minister in Colombo on Wednesday. AFP / Reuters

Sri Lanka declared a state of emergency on Wednesday after the president fled overseas to escape anti-government protests, as thousands of people took to the streets, again furious that he had not yet stood down.

Barely hours after Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa fled the country on Wednesday, hundreds of people were demanding the resignation of the prime minister as well and fighting street battles with security forces, some armed with assault rifles.

“Ranil go home!” they chanted before storming the office of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in Colombo. Wickremesinghe’s whereabouts could not be immediately confirmed by Reuters.

Police fired repeated rounds of tear gas and Wickremesinghe, acting as the president in Rajapaksa’s absence, said in a video statement he was working to declare a nationwide emergency.

PresidentOffice-SriLanka Army personnel stand guard as demonstrators (unseen) gather inside the office building of PM. AFP

The protesters see him as an ally of Rajapaksa and want him out. “We want Ranil to step down,” said S. Shashidharan, a 30-year-old who said he was tear gassed outside the prime minister’s office earlier in the day.

“Arrest all those who helped Gota (the president) to escape. We want our stolen money back.”

Rajapaksa had promised at the weekend to resign on Wednesday after escaping his official residence in Colombo just before tens of thousands of protesters overran it.

As president, Rajapaksa enjoys immunity from arrest, and he is believed to have wanted to go abroad before stepping down to avoid the possibility of being detained.

He, his wife and two bodyguards were the four passengers on a military aircraft that took off from Sri Lanka’s main international airport, immigration sources told AFP.

Hours later, with no formal announcement he was stepping down, thousands of demonstrators mobbed the office of Ranil Wickremesinghe — whom Rajapaksa named as acting president during his absence — demanding both officeholders should go. “Go home Ranil, Go home Gota,” they shouted.

Police fired tear gas to hold them back from overrunning the compound and officials declared a nationwide state of emergency, the prime minister’s spokesman Dinouk Colombage told AFP.

Police imposed an indefinite curfew across the Western Province, which includes Colombo, “to contain the situation,” a senior police officer said.

Wickremesinghe would automatically become acting president if Rajapaksa steps down, but has himself announced his willingness to resign if consensus is reached on forming a unity government.

The prime minister’s office confirmed that Rajapaksa had left the country, but said it had no schedule for any presidential resignation announcement.

The succession process could take between three days — the minimum time needed for parliament to elect an MP to serve out Rajapaksa’s term, which ends in November 2024 — and a maximum of 30 days allowed under the statute.

A complicated exit

Rajapaksa is accused of mismanaging the economy to a point where the country ran out of foreign exchange to finance even the most essential imports, leading to severe hardships for its 22 million people.

Earlier on Wednesday, smiling Sri Lankans again thronged the corridors of the president’s official residence after his departure, with young couples walking around hand in hand in a mood of quiet celebration.

“People are very happy, because these people robbed our country,” said retired civil servant Kingsley Samarakoon, 74. “They’ve stolen too much money, billions and billions.” But he held little hope for an immediate improvement in Sri Lanka’s plight. “How are people going to run the country without money?” he asked. “It’s a problem.”

Sri Lanka defaulted on its $51 billion foreign debt in April and is in talks with the IMF for a possible bailout.

The island has nearly exhausted its already scarce supplies of petrol. The government has ordered the closure of non-essential offices and schools to reduce commuting and save fuel.

The departure of Rajapaksa, 73 and once known as “The Terminator,” had been stymied for more than 24 hours in a humiliating standoff with immigration personnel in Colombo.

He had wanted to fly to a Gulf country on a commercial flight, but staff at Bandaranaike International withdrew from VIP services and insisted that all passengers had to go through public counters.

On arrival in the Maldives on Wednesday, Rajapaksa was driven to an undisclosed location under police escort, an airport official in the capital Male said.

Agence France-Presse/ Reuters


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here