The coffin containing the body of Christian Atsu is loaded into an airplane bound for Ghana on Saturday. AFP
The remains of former Ghana international footballer Christian Atsu who died in a devastating earthquake in Turkey were being flown home on Sunday, the country’s foreign ministry said.
Atsu, 31, was caught up in a 7.8-magnitude quake that rocked Turkey and Syria on February 6, killing more than 44,000 people in both countries.
There were initial reports the former Chelsea and Newcastle player had been rescued a day after the quake, but these turned out to be false and his body was found on Saturday.
Body of Ghana footballer Atsu found in Turkey quake rubble
UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation Mubadala reveal rebranded arena in Zayed Sports City
“The remains will be accompanied by his family and Ghana’s ambassador to Turkey on a Turkish airlines flight and will arrive in Accra (Ghana’s capital) at 7:40 p.m. Sunday,” the foreign ministry said.
On Saturday, the ministry said that Atsu’s older brother and twin sister were present at the site of the rescue when his body was recovered.
His widow Marie-Claire Rupio and their three children were in the stands at St James’ Park in London on Saturday to join a tribute to the player before Newcastle’s Premier League match against Liverpool.
Atsu scored the last of his 33 career goals for Hatayspor in Turkey’s Super Lig on February 5, hours before the quake struck.
He previously played for his national team the Black Stars and Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo said “football has lost one of its finest ambassadors, one who will be difficult to replace”.