Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

7X and UAEV approve first six EV charging station sites across NXN facilities

August 20, 2026

Sennheiser just made earbuds you don’t have to throw away when the battery dies

August 20, 2026

Tech Mahindra and ServiceNow Expand Partnership to Deliver Production-Ready Enterprise AI at Scale

August 20, 2026

LG’s new OLED tech can last 2.4x longer, and monitors are first in line

August 20, 2026

Al Ain’s Urban Growth: Community-Driven Planning Insights

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » UK sees worst riots in 13 years; over 90 arrested as demonstrators clash with police – News
World

UK sees worst riots in 13 years; over 90 arrested as demonstrators clash with police – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 5, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

UK authorities faced growing pressure on Sunday to put an end to England’s worst rioting in 13 years after disturbances linked to child murders and involving far-riot agitators flared across the country.

Unrest related to misinformation about a mass stabbing that killed three young girls earlier this week has spread to multiple towns and cities, with anti-immigration demonstrators clashing with police.


The violence is posing a major test for Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who was elected only a month ago after leading Labour to a landslide win over the Conservatives.

Stay up to date with the latest news. Follow KT on WhatsApp Channels.






In the latest incident, trouble flared in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, on Sunday when masked anti-immigration demonstrators smashed several windows at a hotel that has been used to house asylum seekers.

More than 90 people were arrested on Saturday after skirmishes broke out at far-right rallies in numerous places, including Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Blackpool and Hull, as well as Belfast in Northern Ireland.

In some instances, rioters threw bricks, bottles and flares at police — injuring several officers — looted and burnt shops, while demonstrators shouted anti-Islamic slurs as they clashed with counter-protesters.

The violence is the worst England has seen since the summer of 2011, when widespread rioting took place following the police killing of a mixed-race man in north London.

“We’re now seeing it (trouble) flooding across major cities and towns,” said Tiffany Lynch of the Police Federation of England and Wales.

The government said the police have “all the resources they need” to deal with the disorder, as forces drafted in thousands of extra officers to try to stop the violence from spreading further.

Policing minister Diana Johnson told BBC News on Sunday that the rioting would “not be tolerated”, while justice minister Shabana Mahmood has insisted that “the whole justice system is ready to deliver convictions as quickly as possible”.

The disturbance in Rotherham marked the fifth day of skirmishes following Monday’s frenzied knife attack at a Taylor Swift-theme dance party in Southport, near Liverpool on England’s northwest coast.

They were fuelled by false rumours on social media about the background of British-born 17-year-old suspect Axel Rudakubana, who is accused of killing a six, seven, and nine-year-old, and injuring another 10 people.

Police have blamed the violence on supporters and associated organisations of the English Defence League, an anti-Islam organisation founded 15 years ago whose supporters have been linked to football hooliganism.

Agitators have targeted mosques in Southport and in the northeastern English city of Sunderland, leading to hundreds of Islamic centres bolstering security amid fears for their worshippers’ safety.

The rallies have been advertised on far-right social media channels under the banner “Enough is enough”.

Participants have waved English and British flags while chanting slogans like “Stop the boats” — a reference to irregular migrants travelling to Britain from France.

Anti-fascist demonstrators have held counter-rallies in many cities, including Leeds where they shouted, “Nazi scum off our streets”, as the far-right protesters chanted, “You’re not English any more”.

Not all the gatherings have turned violent. A peaceful one in Aldershot, southern England, on Sunday saw participants hold placards that read “Stop the invasion” and “We’re not far right, we’re just right”.

“People are fed up with being told you should be ashamed if you’re white and working class but I’m proud white working class,” 41-year-old Karina, who did not give her surname, told AFP in Nottingham on Saturday.

Commentators have suggested that the demonstrators, spurred on by online influencers, may feel emboldened by the political ascendancy of anti-immigration elements in British politics.

At last month’s election, the Reform UK party led by Brexit cheerleader Nigel Farage captured 14 percent of the vote — one of the largest vote shares for a far-right British party.

Carla Denyer, co-leader of the left-wing Green party said the unrest should be “a wake-up call to all politicians who have actively promoted or given in” to anti-immigration rhetoric.

Starmer has accused “thugs” of “hijacking” the nation’s grief to “sow hatred” and has announced new measures to allow the sharing of intelligence, wider deployment of facial-recognition technology and criminal behaviour orders to restrict troublemakers from travelling.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Sennheiser just made earbuds you don’t have to throw away when the battery dies

August 20, 2026

Tech Mahindra and ServiceNow Expand Partnership to Deliver Production-Ready Enterprise AI at Scale

August 20, 2026

LG’s new OLED tech can last 2.4x longer, and monitors are first in line

August 20, 2026

Al Ain’s Urban Growth: Community-Driven Planning Insights

August 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

You’ll need a Pixel 11 to try Android 17’s new trick to curb mindless scrolling

August 20, 2026

yomo Secures Initial Banking Licence, Ready to Lead Egypt’s Digital Banking Evolution

August 20, 2026

OpenAI wants to monitor AI abuse without forcing customers to hand over their data

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.