Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

The best funny and useful Siri commands for iOS and macOS

August 19, 2026

New report says Meta pays influencers to fight social media bans for teens accounts worldwide

August 19, 2026

Supreme put its box logo on JBL’s tiny speakers, because just red wasn’t enough

August 19, 2026

MEES 2026 Returns to Dubai, Bringing Together the Region’s Events Community to Shape What Comes Next

August 19, 2026

Cosori Iconic review: The best-looking air fryer your countertop deserves

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Israel keeps up strikes in Gaza as fears of wider war grow – News
World

Israel keeps up strikes in Gaza as fears of wider war grow – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 13, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Israeli forces pressed on with their operations near the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis on Monday amid an international push for a deal to halt the fighting in Gaza and block a slide into a wider regional conflict with Iran and its proxies.

Palestinian medics said Israeli military strikes on several areas of Khan Younis on Monday killed at least 16 people and wounded several. Meanwhile, more families and displaced persons streamed out of areas threatened by new evacuation orders telling people to clear the area.


As fighting continued in several areas of the Gaza Strip, Hamas reacted sceptically to the latest round of Egyptian and Qatari-brokered talks due on Thursday, saying it has seen no sign of movement from the Israeli side.

The group said in a statement on Sunday mediators must force Israel to accept a ceasefire proposal based on ideas by US President Joe Biden, which Hamas had accepted, “instead of pursuing further rounds of negotiations or new proposals that would provide cover for the occupation’s aggression”.






Two sources close to Hamas said the group was convinced the new call for talks was coordinated beforehand with Israel to deter responses from Iran and Hezbollah to the assassination of the group’s chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran and a top Hezbollah leader in Lebanon.

“It is a mild rejection you can say. Should Hamas receive a workable plan, an Israeli positive response to the proposal it had accepted, things may change, but so far Hamas believes Netanyahu isn’t serious about reaching a deal,” said one Palestinian official close to the mediation effort.

Hamas’ reaction to the talks came as preparations for a larger-scale confrontation grew, with Washington ordering a guided missile submarine to the Middle East and the Abraham Lincoln strike group accelerating its deployment to the region.

Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant told US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin that Iran was making preparations for a large-scale military attack on Israel, Barack Ravid, a normally well-sourced reporter for Axios News reported on Twitter.

Israel has been braced for a major attack since last month when a missile strike killed 12 youngsters in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and Israel responded by killing a senior Hezbollah commander in Beirut.

A day after that operation, Ismail Haniyeh, the political leader of Hamas, was assassinated in Tehran, drawing Iranian vows of retaliation against Israel.

The potential escalation underlined how far the Middle East has been thrown into turmoil by the war in Gaza, now into its 11th month.

The Hamas-led attack on Israeli communities around the Gaza Strip killed some 1,200 people, with more than 250 taken into captivity in Gaza, according to Israeli tallies, in one of the most devastating blows against Israel in its history.

In response, Israeli forces have flattened Gaza, displaced most of the population and killed around 40,000 people, according to the Palestinian health ministry, in a war that has caused horror around the world.

On Saturday, scores of people were killed in Israeli strikes on a school building in Gaza City that the military said targeted fighters from the amred wings of Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

Gaza health officials say most of the fatalities have been civilians but Israel says at least a third are fighters. Israel says it has lost 329 soldiers in Gaza.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

New report says Meta pays influencers to fight social media bans for teens accounts worldwide

August 19, 2026

Supreme put its box logo on JBL’s tiny speakers, because just red wasn’t enough

August 19, 2026

MEES 2026 Returns to Dubai, Bringing Together the Region’s Events Community to Shape What Comes Next

August 19, 2026

Cosori Iconic review: The best-looking air fryer your countertop deserves

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

MBRF participates in Istanbul International Arabic Book Fair 2026

August 18, 2026

The Best Ergonomic Office Chairs in 2026

August 18, 2026

ADREC releases the Abu Dhabi Real Estate Market Report for H1 2026

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.