Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

ADREC releases the Abu Dhabi Real Estate Market Report for H1 2026

August 18, 2026

ChatGPT is getting a teen version, and I have a lot of questions

August 18, 2026

Middle East Energy 2026: 1,500 Companies Set to Exhibit in Dubai

August 18, 2026

Apple’s camera AirPods may literally tell you when your hair is in the way

August 18, 2026

The GCC home entertainment market is expected to grow to USD 8.9 billion by 2034

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Australia, Britain, US drop defence trade barriers to propel AUKUS – News
World

Australia, Britain, US drop defence trade barriers to propel AUKUS – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 16, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Australia, the United States and Britain have removed significant barriers on defence trade between the AUKUS partners and opened the way for faster approvals for highly sensitive technologies, Australian officials said.

The move is seen as a significant step for Australia to acquire US nuclear-powered attack submarines and jointly develop with the US and Britain a new class of conventionally armed, nuclear-powered submarine over the next two decades.


The AUKUS partners are also developing advanced defence technology spanning hypersonic missiles, undersea drones and quantum technologies, with the reforms expected to speed up the transition of these projects from research to production.

The United States is Australia’s closest security ally, but had restricted sharing of closely guarded defence technology, which is governed by the US International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR).






There had been delays by the US State Department in finalising exemptions for Australia and Britain under ITAR, which required the AUKUS partners to show they had export control regimes equivalent to the United States.

Eliminating the need for export licences for much defence technology will take effect from September 1, Australian officials said on Thursday, with Defence Minister Richard Marles calling it a “generational change”.

“These critical reforms will revolutionise defence trade, innovation and cooperation, enabling collaboration at the speed and scale required to meet our challenging strategic circumstances,” he said in a statement.

The US issues around 3,800 defence export control licences for Australia each year which have taken up to 18 months to approve, while approvals in Britain have taken 100 days.

From next month, 70% of defence exports from the US to Australia previously under ITAR will be licence free.

An Excluded Technologies List will be released by the US showing sensitive technologies that will continue to require a licence, to be reviewed annually.

The US State Department will have a 45-day window to decide on the transfer of technologies on the excluded list between governments and industry, and 30-days for government-to-government transfers.

Over 80% of goods subject to control by the US Commerce Department as “dual use” military and civilian technologies will also become licence free for Australia from September.

Australia has eliminated 900 export permits on defence goods worth A$5 billion to the US and Britain, officials said.

Under a deal signed in 2021, the United States will sell Australia between three and five Virginia-class attack submarines from the early 2030s as a stopgap while Australia and Britain build a new SSN-AUKUS class, that will include US technologies, due roughly a decade later.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

ChatGPT is getting a teen version, and I have a lot of questions

August 18, 2026

Middle East Energy 2026: 1,500 Companies Set to Exhibit in Dubai

August 18, 2026

Apple’s camera AirPods may literally tell you when your hair is in the way

August 18, 2026

The GCC home entertainment market is expected to grow to USD 8.9 billion by 2034

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

The Best Gaming Chairs to Consider in 2026

August 18, 2026

Wealth Planning for Longer Lives: Embracing Fluidity

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s new Running Mode takes workout playlists to another level

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.