Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Claude can now reply to and send Gmail messages on your behalf

August 19, 2026

Sony’s $220 PlayStation speakers pack one feature I wish every desktop setup had

August 19, 2026

New GTA 6 leaked footage shows Jason shooting hoops and causing chaos on the road

August 19, 2026

The best funny and useful Siri commands for iOS and macOS

August 19, 2026

New report says Meta pays influencers to fight social media bans for teens accounts worldwide

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Flawed Boeing mission crew to return to Earth with rival SpaceX – News
World

Flawed Boeing mission crew to return to Earth with rival SpaceX – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 28, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Two US astronauts who arrived at the International Space Station aboard Boeing’s Starliner will have to stay six more months and return home with rival SpaceX, Nasa said on Saturday, in a fresh public relations blow to the crisis-hit aviation giant.

The return of Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams had already been delayed for weeks by thruster malfunctions of the Boeing spacecraft, and Nasa administrator Bill Nelson announced they will return to Earth in February, while Starliner will return uncrewed.


“Space flight is risky even at its safest and even at its most routine,” Nelson told reporters. “A test flight, by nature, is neither safe, nor routine.”

He said the decision to keep the astronauts on the ISS and return the Starliner uncrewed “is the result of our commitment to safety,” adding, “Our core value is safety.”



The new approach will allow the space agency and Boeing to continue gathering data on Starliner during its homeward flight in early September “while also not accepting more risk than necessary for its crew”, Nasa said in a statement.

SpaceX echoed that phrase in a post by its president, Gwynne Shotwell, on social media platform X.

The development creates yet another headache for Boeing, as the two astronauts will have to spend a total of eight months in orbit, not eight days as originally planned.

Officials have said the astronauts on the ISS have plenty of supplies, and are trained for extended stays.

But Nelson said Nasa had not lost confidence in Boeing and plans to continue working with it so the space agency will have two vehicles capable of ferrying astronauts to and from the ISS.

He said he was “100 per cent sure Boeing will launch Starliner again with a crew on board”.

After years of delays, Starliner finally lifted off on June 5 carrying the two veteran astronauts to the ISS.

But a day later, as Starliner was approaching the space station, “Nasa and Boeing identified helium leaks and experienced issues with the spacecraft reaction control thrusters”, the space agency said.

Amid intense efforts to diagnose the problem and fashion a possible fix, Nasa had to put the astronauts’ return on indefinite hold.

The big concern was that Starliner might not have the propulsive power to wrest itself out of orbit and begin the descent toward Earth.

Nasa officials met Nelson before their announcement on Saturday, finally agreeing on the highly unusual option of bringing the astronauts back from the flying laboratory not on their own craft, but aboard a previously scheduled SpaceX vehicle in February.

“It was just too much risk with the crew,” said senior Nasa official Steve Stich. Norm Knight, another agency official, added that the astronauts “support the agency’s decision fully”.

Under the new plan, the SpaceX Crew-9 mission will take off in late September — after the Starliner has headed earthward, freeing a docking port on the ISS — but it will carry only two passengers instead of the originally planned four.

Nasa and SpaceX are working to reconfigure seats on the Crew-9 Dragon, “and adjusting the manifest to carry additional cargo, personal effects, and Dragon-specific spacesuits for Wilmore and Williams,” the space agency said.

The SpaceX vehicle in February will bring back its own crew members plus their two stranded colleagues.

The approach represents a further blow to the already tarnished image of US giant Boeing, whose airplane arm has been beset in recent years with concerns about safety and quality control.

Ten years ago, following the retirement of the Space Shuttle, Nasa ordered new vessels from both Boeing and SpaceX that could ferry astronauts to and from the ISS.

With two such vehicles available, Nasa reasoned, there would always be a backup available.

But Elon Musk’s SpaceX beat Boeing to the punch and has been the lone vehicle used to taxi astronauts for the past four years.

This year’s crewed Starliner flight, which followed years of delays during the craft’s development, was meant to be a last test of the vehicle before it enters regular operations.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Sony’s $220 PlayStation speakers pack one feature I wish every desktop setup had

August 19, 2026

New GTA 6 leaked footage shows Jason shooting hoops and causing chaos on the road

August 19, 2026

The best funny and useful Siri commands for iOS and macOS

August 19, 2026

New report says Meta pays influencers to fight social media bans for teens accounts worldwide

August 19, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Supreme put its box logo on JBL’s tiny speakers, because just red wasn’t enough

August 19, 2026

MEES 2026 Returns to Dubai, Bringing Together the Region’s Events Community to Shape What Comes Next

August 19, 2026

Cosori Iconic review: The best-looking air fryer your countertop deserves

August 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.