Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

The Pixel 11 gives me three reasons to ditch my iPhone 17, and I’m afraid they’ll work

August 18, 2026

Forget doomscrolling, Gen Z is now scrolling for birds on TikTok

August 17, 2026

Your Mac might have a screen sharing problem, and hackers already know about it

August 17, 2026

FIFA Selects Globant to Create a Continuous Fan Experience Ecosystem for Football Fans Using AI Pods Powered by Glob.AI

August 17, 2026

America’s breakout wildfire app has much bigger disasters in its sights

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » UK Grenfell Tower fire inquiry blames avoidable deaths on incompetence and greed – News
World

UK Grenfell Tower fire inquiry blames avoidable deaths on incompetence and greed – News

By dailyguardian.aeSeptember 5, 20245 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A public inquiry into the devastating 2017 London Grenfell Tower blaze on Wednesday blamed the disaster on failings by the government, construction industry and, most of all, the firms involved in fitting the exterior with flammable cladding.

Seventy-two people died when the fire ripped through the 23-storey social housing block in one of the richest areas of west London during the early hours of June 14, 2017. It was Britain’s deadliest blaze in a residential building since World War Two.


“The simple truth is that the deaths that occurred were all avoidable,” said inquiry chair Martin Moore-Bick.

In its long-awaited final report, the inquiry laid most responsibility for the disaster on the companies involved in the maintenance and refit of the apartment tower, failings by local and national authorities as well as companies which had dishonestly marketed combustible cladding materials as safe. There was also widespread criticism and blame levelled at the then-government, local authority of Kensington and Chelsea, the industry, regulatory groups, specific individuals and an ill-prepared fire brigade for years of inaction over fire safety in high-rise blocks.



“Not all of them bear the same degree of responsibility for the eventual disaster, but as our reports show, all contributed to it in one way or another, in most cases, through incompetence, but in some cases, through dishonesty and greed,” Moore-Bick said.

The inquiry report, which ran to almost 1,700 pages, said the blaze was the culmination of “decades of failure”. In the years since the inferno, survivors and relatives of those who perished have demanded those responsible should face criminal charges.

“The duty of government should be to safeguard life, whilst protecting us from corporate greed,” said Grenfell United, a group representing some survivors and bereaved families.

“But for too long, they have aided corporations, facilitating them to profit and dictate regulation.” While the British police have said 58 people and 19 firms and organisations are under investigation, prosecutions — including for corporate manslaughter and fraud — remain years away because of the complexity and need to consider the inquiry’s report.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the government would carefully consider the inquiry’s findings to ensure there was no repeat of the disaster.

An earlier report by the inquiry team in 2019, which focused on the events of the night, found an electrical fault in a refrigerator in a fourth floor apartment started the fire.

Flames then spread uncontrollably, mainly because the tower had been covered during a 2016 refurbishment with cladding — exterior panels designed to improve appearance and add insulation — made of flammable aluminium composite material that acted as a source of fuel.

The harrowing accounts, including from those who perished while awaiting rescuers and having followed official guidance to stay put, prompted fury and national soul-searching over building standards and the treatment of low-income communities.

The inquiry, headed by retired judge Martin Moore-Bick, found a litany of failings; lessons had not been learned from past high-rise tower blazes and testing systems were inadequate.

The most overt blame was laid at the feet of those involved in the refurbishment of the tower with the flammable cladding. The inquiry said architect Studio E, principal contractor Rydon, and cladding sub-contractor Harley all bore considerable responsibility for disaster.

Fire safety inspectors Exova were also blamed for the building being left “in a dangerous condition on completion of the refurbishment”.

Both Kensington and Chelsea council and the Tenant Management Organisation (TMO), which managed the local authority’s housing stock, were also heavily criticised.

They had shown indifference to fire safety regulations in the years before the blaze and the TMO, whose difficult relationship with some residents was said to have created a “toxic atmosphere”, had been unduly focused on cutting costs.

While the local community and voluntary groups were praised for providing support, the council was also criticised for its slow, muddled and “wholly inadequate” response to the incident.

There was also condemnation of those firms which made and sold the cladding or its foam insulation — Celotex, Kingspan, and Arconic Architectural Products, the French subsidiary of US company Arconic. The inquiry concluded there had been “systematic dishonesty” on their part.

“They engaged in deliberate and sustained strategies to manipulate the testing processes, misrepresent tested data and mislead the market,” the report said.

Arconic said it rejected any claim it had sold an unsafe product or tried to conceal information about tests of its materials. Kingspan said it had “long acknowledged the wholly unacceptable historical failings” but said these were not causative of the tragedy. The issue of exterior cladding has raised concerns across Europe where there have been similar blazes in apartment blocks such as in the Spanish city of Valencia in February, and in Italy in 2021.

In Britain, government figures from July showed 3,280 buildings standing at 11 metres or higher still had unsafe cladding, with remediation work yet to start on more than two-thirds of them.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Forget doomscrolling, Gen Z is now scrolling for birds on TikTok

August 17, 2026

Your Mac might have a screen sharing problem, and hackers already know about it

August 17, 2026

FIFA Selects Globant to Create a Continuous Fan Experience Ecosystem for Football Fans Using AI Pods Powered by Glob.AI

August 17, 2026

America’s breakout wildfire app has much bigger disasters in its sights

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Rasasi Expands Its Global Hawas Collection with the Launch of Hawas Gold Digger

August 17, 2026

Cracking your Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra screen could cost $639, so handle it carefully

August 17, 2026

Union Coop and ABER Launch Mobile Vehicle Inspection Service

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.