Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

The Official MENA Chart Adopts Principles for the Eligibility of Recordings Developed Using AI

August 21, 2026

Apple Music will soon tell you which songs were made with AI

August 21, 2026

Sony’s next Xperia phone is coming August 24, but it’s likely to skip the US

August 21, 2026

The secret CIA connection behind NeXT’s survival and Jobs’ return to Apple

August 21, 2026

The JISULIFE Ultra2 out-cools Dyson’s handheld fan, and here’s why it’s the one to buy this summer 

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Air pollution falls after London vehicle curbs, says Mayor Khan – News
World

Air pollution falls after London vehicle curbs, says Mayor Khan – News

By dailyguardian.aeJuly 26, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan on Thursday claimed success for his expanded pollution toll zone for motor vehicles, pointing to a drop in levels of a harmful air pollutant since its controversial introduction.

Levels of nitrogen oxides from cars were 13 per cent lower than they would have been had the widened pollution charging scheme not been introduced, according to a City Hall report.


For vans the figure was seven per cent.

Khan’s expanded scheme mirrored similar low-emission zones to improve air quality in more than 200 cities in 10 countries across Europe.






For both vans and cars, the reduction in nitrogen oxide levels was the equivalent to removing 200,000 cars from the road for one year, according to the report, which covers the first six months of the expansion.

Khan faced a fierce backlash to his Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) scheme when he expanded it to areas of outer London last August.

The mayor, who won a third term of office in May, said the findings of the report vindicated his initiative.

“Today’s report shows that the ULEZ is working even better than expected. The expansion to outer London is already having a significant effect — driving down levels of pollution, taking old polluting cars off our roads and bringing cleaner air to millions more Londoners,” he said.

First introduced in inner London in 2019 and separate from the two-decades-old congestion charge, ULEZ requires drivers of the most polluting vehicles to pay £12.50 ($16) on days they are on the road.

They face fines of up to £180 for each day they fail to pay.

The expansion infuriated opponents who argued that outer London was not well enough served by public transport and that it was wrong to put extra costs on drivers at a time when many were battling a cost of living crisis.

Khan, a Labour politician, also welcomed the new environmental policies of the Labour government elected earlier this month in a landslide victory over the Conservatives.

“The ambition of this government to double the amount of onshore wind, to triple the amount of solar, to quadruple the amount of offshore wind, is so exciting,” Khan said.

“They’ve done more in three weeks than the previous government did in eight years,” he said.

Questioned about the potential return of Donald Trump, who criticised Khan after he slammed the former US president’s travel ban on people from certain Muslim countries, the London mayor said there was some “concern” given his previous actions on the environment.

Trump pulled the United States out of the 2015 Paris climate accord after he was elected president in 2016, only for his successor President Joe Biden to reverse the move.

Khan said that US governors and mayors had nevertheless made “massive progress” between 2016 and 2020 in relation to addressing the climate emergency, “not withstanding what was happening in the White House”.

He said he remained confident that this work would continue even if Trump won again in US elections set for November.







Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Apple Music will soon tell you which songs were made with AI

August 21, 2026

Sony’s next Xperia phone is coming August 24, but it’s likely to skip the US

August 21, 2026

The secret CIA connection behind NeXT’s survival and Jobs’ return to Apple

August 21, 2026

The JISULIFE Ultra2 out-cools Dyson’s handheld fan, and here’s why it’s the one to buy this summer 

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

I tried the Pixel 11 Pro’s Magic Capture on my cat, and I love each hilarious frame

August 21, 2026

X-Sense SC07 and SCO7W Review: Reliable, affordable, and peace of mind

August 21, 2026

I upgraded from the M1 to the M5 MacBook Air, and the speakers got worse

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.