Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Apple just accidentally revealed its camera-equipped AirPods

August 18, 2026

CMF’s next earbuds are coming, and I have a pretty good guess what they are

August 18, 2026

Apple Wallet driver’s licenses are coming to North Carolina, but there’s a catch

August 18, 2026

E-Paper Works Best When Almost Nothing Is Happening

August 18, 2026

Meta’s facial recognition smart glasses idea just resurfaced in a patent

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Billionaire Adani’s Mumbai slum revamp struggles to secure land in potential setback – News
World

Billionaire Adani’s Mumbai slum revamp struggles to secure land in potential setback – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 28, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A joint-venture led by billionaire Gautam Adani is struggling to secure land to rehabilitate poor residents of one of Asia’s largest slums in Mumbai, a government official said, posing a fresh challenge for the ambitious reconstruction plan.

The Dharavi slum, about three-quarters of the size of New York’s Central Park, featured in Danny Boyle’s Oscar-winning 2008 movie Slumdog Millionaire. Its open sewers and shared toilets, close to Mumbai’s international airport, stand in contrast to India’s development boom.


After winning the $619 million bid last year, Adani Group plans to convert the 240 hectare slum into a modern city hub, but it has already faced protests from opposition political parties who say it received undue favours from the state government in awarding the contract. The group has denied the allegations.

Now there is a new challenge.



Only those who lived in Dharavi before the year 2000 will get free homes in the redevelopment and a lot of the land needed to rehabilitate people — at least 580 acres for now — will be to provide housing to the roughly 700,000 people considered ineligible.

To build homes for those ineligible people, the Adani joint venture applied to various local and federal agencies for more land, but has yet to secure any, SVR Srinivas, head of the Dharavi Redevelopment Authority, said.

That’s because such government agencies have their own plans for land they own and are not willing to part with it, he added.

“In Mumbai, getting land is the toughest of things. Physically not a single inch of land has come to us,” said Srinivas.

Asked if he was worried that land acquisition delays will affect the project timeline, he said: “Yes, without land, the project cannot take place, so that is a very critical factor for doing the project on time.”

The Adani Group, which holds a majority stake in the joint venture with the Dharavi Redevelopment Authority, did not respond to an email seeking comments.

The project, which aims to rehouse a million people, is a critical and high-profile project for Adani, who last year faced allegations of business mismanagement and stock manipulation in a scathing report by short-seller Hindenburg Research which he denied.

The project started in March with a survey to determine eligibility and its backers are aiming to complete construction in seven years.

Mumbai is one of India’s most expensive real estate markets where real estate prices are sky-high and land is scarce.

Adani’s group has acknowledged that rebuilding Dharavi presented “colossal” challenges — though he has said he hoped the area in future would produce “millionaires without the slumdog prefix”.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

CMF’s next earbuds are coming, and I have a pretty good guess what they are

August 18, 2026

Apple Wallet driver’s licenses are coming to North Carolina, but there’s a catch

August 18, 2026

E-Paper Works Best When Almost Nothing Is Happening

August 18, 2026

Meta’s facial recognition smart glasses idea just resurfaced in a patent

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

The Pixel 11 gives me three reasons to ditch my iPhone 17, and I’m afraid they’ll work

August 18, 2026

Forget doomscrolling, Gen Z is now scrolling for birds on TikTok

August 17, 2026

Your Mac might have a screen sharing problem, and hackers already know about it

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.