Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Dubai Summer Surprises: Weekly Events from August 18-23

August 18, 2026

Ugreen’s latest travel adapter packs 100W, four ports, and a screen into one charger

August 18, 2026

Lujan Mourad, Director of KSQF – World Humanitarian Day

August 18, 2026

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Blinken in Egypt seeking progress towards Gaza ceasefire deal – News
World

Blinken in Egypt seeking progress towards Gaza ceasefire deal – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 21, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken flew to Egypt on Tuesday, pushing for areas of possible progress on a Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal in talks planned for later this week, with major areas of dispute left unresolved.

Blinken arrived in Egypt from Tel Aviv, where he said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had accepted a US “bridging proposal” aimed at narrowing the gaps between the two sides after talks last week paused without a breakthrough. He urged Hamas to also accept the proposal as the basis for more talks.


The Palestinian militant group has not definitively rejected the proposal, but has said it backtracks from areas previously agreed and has accused Israel and its US ally of spinning out the negotiations process in bad faith.

In Egypt, Blinken was meeting President Abdel-Fattah El Sisi, whose country has been helping mediate the on-off Gaza talks for months along with the US and Qatar.






At stake is the fate of tiny, crowded Gaza, where Israel’s military campaign has killed more than 40,000 people since October according to Palestinian health authorities, and of the remaining hostages being held there.

The war in Gaza began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas gunmen stormed into Israeli communities, killing around 1,200 people and abducting about 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

On Tuesday, Israel’s military said it had recovered the bodies of six hostages from southern Gaza, adding that 109 hostages remained in the Palestinian territory, of whom Israel say around a third are believed already to be dead.

In Gaza, Israeli forces battled Hamas-led militants in central and southern areas, and Palestinian health authorities said at least 12 people had been killed early on Tuesday in Israeli strikes, including on a school housing displaced people.

Israel’s military said it had struck militants in a Hamas centre embedded in the school.

Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry said on Tuesday it was still waiting for polio vaccines to arrive after the disease was discovered in the territory, where most people now live in tents or shelters without proper sanitation. It echoed a call by the UN last week for a ceasefire to allow the vaccination campaign.

Proposal

Blinken has called the latest push for a deal “probably the best, possibly the last opportunity”, and said his meeting with Netanyahu was constructive, adding it was incumbent on Hamas to accept the bridging proposal.

US officials have not spelled out what is in the proposal or how it differs from previous versions. “There are questions of implementation and making sure that it’s clearly understood what each side will do to carry out its commitments,” Blinken said on Monday.

Senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan criticised the latest developments, saying the US bridging proposal that Netanyahu accepted raised ambiguities because it was different from what the group had previously agreed.

Months of on-off talks have circled the same issues, with Israel saying the war can only end with the destruction of Hamas as a military and political force and Hamas saying it will only accept a permanent, not temporary, ceasefire.

There are disagreements over Israel’s continued military presence inside Gaza, particularly along the border with Egypt, the free movement of Palestinians inside the territory, and the identity and number of prisoners to be freed in a swap.

Egypt is particularly focused on a security mechanism for the Philadelphi Corridor, the narrow border strip between Egypt and Gaza that Israeli forces seized in May.

Both Hamas and Egypt are opposed to Israel keeping troops there, but Netanyahu has said they are needed on the border to stop weapons being smuggled into Gaza.

Egyptian security sources said the US has proposed an international presence in the area, a suggestion the sources said could be acceptable to Cairo if it was limited to a maximum of six months.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Ugreen’s latest travel adapter packs 100W, four ports, and a screen into one charger

August 18, 2026

Lujan Mourad, Director of KSQF – World Humanitarian Day

August 18, 2026

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Spotify’s Playlist Notes make it easier to add context to your favorite picks

August 18, 2026

YouTube is making view counts bigger, but creators aren’t getting any richer

August 18, 2026

Viture Pro 2 review: Affordable glasses that I loved more for work than play

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.