Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

iPhone 17e: Everything we know so far

February 21, 2026

A big-screen RTX 5080 gaming laptop deal that makes desktop-class power feel portable

February 21, 2026

Ubisoft says more Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry are coming

February 21, 2026

How Alison.ai is bringing objectivity to video ads before media budgets are spent

February 21, 2026

EDB says AI sovereignty is a people strategy and only 13% of enterprises are ready

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » George Lucas abandoned a Star Wars twist that would have changed Obi-Wan’s story
Technology

George Lucas abandoned a Star Wars twist that would have changed Obi-Wan’s story

By dailyguardian.aeNovember 3, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Few Star Wars characters have a story as well-known or important as Obi-Wan Kenobi. The character, first introduced as an older Jedi in 1977’s Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope, is both a noteworthy mentor to Luke and Anakin Skywalker and a tragic figure due to the dissolution of his friendship with the latter. Thanks to Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness’ dual, decades-spanning performances as the character, Obi-Wan’s story has been brought to life in almost its entirety over the years, too.

However, it turns out that Star Wars creator George Lucas originally had a very different idea for Obi-Wan Kenobi’s story. In an interview with StarWars.com, Iain McCaig, who worked as a behind-the-scenes artist on Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace, revealed that Lucas originally intended to swap the names of Ewan McGregor’s Obi-Wan Kenobi and Liam Neeson’s Qui-Gon Jinn in that film. “It’s interesting how things evolve,” McCaig commented. “For a time, the older Jedi was named Obi-Wan and the younger Jedi was named Qui-Gon.”

According to McCaig, Lucas’ original vision included McGregor’s character ultimately taking on his Jedi Master’s name as part of his attempt to honor his mission to train Anakin. “At the end, as Obi-Wan dies and Qui-Gon defeats Darth Maul and stays with his Master as he passes away, he not only takes on his Master’s quest, but he takes on his name. Qui-Gon becomes Obi-Wan,” McCaig revealed. “That’s why when you see Alec Guinness in A New Hope, he puts his hood down and goes, ‘Obi-Wan? Now that’s a name I’ve not heard.’ Because he’s not Obi-Wan, he’s Qui-Gon. And right at the end, George changed it.”

McCaig doesn’t offer any insight into why Lucas ended up abandoning this twist. While it would have added an extra layer to Obi-Wan’s introduction in A New Hope, it’s possible Lucas simply decided to opt for the more streamlined, straightforward version of the character’s story that actually made it into The Phantom Menace.

Regardless of Lucas’ overall reasoning, this revelation does offer some further insight into just how deeply the Star Wars creator thought not only about the prequel trilogy’s characters and story but also its connections to the events of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. All fans can do now is wonder how many other ideas like this Lucas might have had and abandoned while making his franchise’s first six films.

Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace is streaming now on Disney+.











Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

iPhone 17e: Everything we know so far

A big-screen RTX 5080 gaming laptop deal that makes desktop-class power feel portable

Ubisoft says more Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry are coming

How Alison.ai is bringing objectivity to video ads before media budgets are spent

EDB says AI sovereignty is a people strategy and only 13% of enterprises are ready

Dell just made 240Hz gaming monitors shockingly cheap

The humble Windows NotePad might finally get image support

Apple apparently has two new Studio Display models lined up for launch

OpenAI’s hardware debut may come in the form of a camera-equipped ChatGPT speaker

Editors Picks

A big-screen RTX 5080 gaming laptop deal that makes desktop-class power feel portable

February 21, 2026

Ubisoft says more Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry are coming

February 21, 2026

How Alison.ai is bringing objectivity to video ads before media budgets are spent

February 21, 2026

EDB says AI sovereignty is a people strategy and only 13% of enterprises are ready

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

BlingWood Launches as the Middle East’s First Micro-Drama OTT Platform

February 21, 2026

Dell just made 240Hz gaming monitors shockingly cheap

February 21, 2026

PALAZZO TISSOLI PHASE 1 SOLD OUT; TISSOLI LAUNCHES PHASE 2 SALES AND APPOINTS GRID AS STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.