Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

ADREC releases the Abu Dhabi Real Estate Market Report for H1 2026

August 18, 2026

ChatGPT is getting a teen version, and I have a lot of questions

August 18, 2026

Middle East Energy 2026: 1,500 Companies Set to Exhibit in Dubai

August 18, 2026

Apple’s camera AirPods may literally tell you when your hair is in the way

August 18, 2026

The GCC home entertainment market is expected to grow to USD 8.9 billion by 2034

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Nord Stream sabotage backed by senior Ukraine officials, claims report – News
World

Nord Stream sabotage backed by senior Ukraine officials, claims report – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 16, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines in 2022 was approved by senior officials in Kyiv, a report said Thursday, with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky initially giving his support.

Speculation has long swirled about who was behind the operation, with both Ukraine and Russia denying any involvement.


The Wall Street Journal reported that Ukraine’s top military commander at the time, Valery Zaluzhny, oversaw the plan to blow up the pipelines used by Russia to deliver gas to Europe.

The idea emerged during a meeting of senior Ukrainian military officers and businessmen in May 2022, just months after Moscow invaded Ukraine.






Six people were directly involved in carrying out the operation, which cost around $300,000 and was privately financed, the report said.

Using a rented yacht, they sailed out to the area of the pipelines and dived down to lay explosives on them.

Zelensky also initially approved the operation. But when the CIA learned of the plan, they asked him to stop it going ahead and he ordered a halt.

But Zaluzhny, who was removed from his post earlier this year in a shake-up, pushed ahead anyway, the WSJ said, citing Ukrainian officials.

Zelensky took the military commander to task for going ahead with the operation despite the order to pull the plug, according to the paper.

But the commander replied that once the sabotage team had been dispatched, they could not be called off.

“He was told it’s like a torpedo — once you fire it at the enemy, you can’t pull it back again, it just keeps going until it goes ‘boom,'” a senior officer familiar with the conversation was cited as saying.

Contacted by the Journal, Zaluzhny — now Ukraine’s ambassador to Britain — said he did not know anything about such an operation and any suggestion to the contrary was a “mere provocation”.

The Journal report comes a day after German media outlets had reported that German investigators probing the sabotage were now focusing on Ukraine, and had issued an arrest warrant for a Ukrainian man.

Most however did not report approval at the highest levels in Ukraine, apart from Der Spiegel, which mentioned the possible involvement of Zaluzhny.

Nord Stream’s two pipelines had been at the centre of geopolitical tensions as Russia cut gas supplies to Europe in suspected retaliation for Western sanctions over Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

Four large gas leaks were discovered in September 2022 in the pipelines off the Danish island of Bornholm, with seismic institutes recording two underwater explosions just before.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

ChatGPT is getting a teen version, and I have a lot of questions

August 18, 2026

Middle East Energy 2026: 1,500 Companies Set to Exhibit in Dubai

August 18, 2026

Apple’s camera AirPods may literally tell you when your hair is in the way

August 18, 2026

The GCC home entertainment market is expected to grow to USD 8.9 billion by 2034

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

The Best Gaming Chairs to Consider in 2026

August 18, 2026

Wealth Planning for Longer Lives: Embracing Fluidity

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s new Running Mode takes workout playlists to another level

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.