Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Lujan Mourad, Director of KSQF – World Humanitarian Day

August 18, 2026

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s Playlist Notes make it easier to add context to your favorite picks

August 18, 2026

YouTube is making view counts bigger, but creators aren’t getting any richer

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Philippines to host ‘limited number’ of Afghans seeking US visas – News
World

Philippines to host ‘limited number’ of Afghans seeking US visas – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 21, 20242 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A “limited number” of Afghans will temporarily stay in the Philippines while being processed for resettlement in the US, Manila and Washington said Tuesday.

The timeline for the programme is still being discussed by the two governments with both saying only a “limited number” of visa applicants will be covered, without revealing exact figures.


The programme to process possibly thousands of Muslim asylum seekers met with domestic opposition on security and other grounds when first broached to the Catholic-majority Philippine public last year.

Stay up to date with the latest news. Follow KT on WhatsApp Channels.






Jose Manuel Romualdez, the Philippines ambassador to the US, said at the time there were about 50,000 such visa-seekers, including the families of those who had worked for the US-backed government that was toppled by the Taliban.

Under the deal, the applicants will stay at a facility operated by the US State Department’s Coordinator for Afghan Relocation Efforts, an embassy spokesman told reporters.

A Philippine foreign department spokeswoman said each candidate would first have to secure a Philippine visa and be medically screened in Afghanistan.

She said they can stay in the country for no more than 59 days and will be “confined to their billet facility” except for their embassy consular interview.

Washington will support all “necessary services” including food, housing, security, medical, and transport during their stay in the country.

Tens of thousands of Afghans fled their country in the chaotic evacuation of August 2021 as US and allied forces pulled out to end Washington’s longest war, launched after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Many of those who had worked with the ousted Western-backed government arrived in the United States seeking resettlement under a special immigrant visa programme, but thousands were also left behind or in third countries, waiting for their visas to be processed.

Afghanistan’s Taliban rulers insist no harm will come to anyone who collaborated with Western powers or the former government, and are encouraging those who have left to return and help rebuild the country.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s Playlist Notes make it easier to add context to your favorite picks

August 18, 2026

YouTube is making view counts bigger, but creators aren’t getting any richer

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Viture Pro 2 review: Affordable glasses that I loved more for work than play

August 18, 2026

Apple just accidentally revealed its camera-equipped AirPods

August 18, 2026

CMF’s next earbuds are coming, and I have a pretty good guess what they are

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.