Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Trojan Construction and Khalifa University Sign MoU for Talent Development

August 18, 2026

Beyond GTA VI: Why 2026 might be gaming’s best year yet

August 18, 2026

GEMS School Launch in Barka: A New Era for Education in Oman

August 18, 2026

The phone you can actually repair yourself is finally coming to the US

August 18, 2026

Dubai Summer Surprises: Weekly Events from August 18-23

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Russia says third bridge damaged in Ukrainian incursion in Kursk region – News
World

Russia says third bridge damaged in Ukrainian incursion in Kursk region – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 19, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Ukraine said on Monday it was achieving its goals in its two-week-old incursion into Russia’s Kursk region after Moscow confirmed Ukrainian forces had damaged a third bridge after striking two others used to supply troops.

Kyiv says it has seized over 80 settlements in an area of more than 1,150 sqkm in Kursk since launching a surprise strike on August 6, the biggest invasion of Russia since World War Two.


President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says the assault on the Kursk region bordering eastern Ukraine is aimed at carving out a buffer zone and wearing down Moscow’s war machine, more than two years since Russia’s full-scale invasion.

“We are achieving our goals,” he wrote on the Telegram messaging app on Monday.






Making clear more Russian soldiers had been taken prisoner, he said: “In the morning, there is another replenishment of the exchange fund for our state.”

Kyiv’s air force chief said on Sunday that his forces had destroyed two bridges in recent days to weaken enemy logistics.

Russia confirmed on Monday that Ukraine had struck and damaged a third bridge over the Seym River. Ukraine has not yet commented on the third reported strike.

Military analysts have said the structures were part of critical supply lines for Russian troops defending the area. Reuters could not independently confirm the destruction of the bridges or the battlefield situation in Kursk.

In his evening address on Sunday, Zelenskiy said his troops were creating a buffer zone along Ukraine’s border with Russia, part of what he described as “maximum counteroffensive actions” aimed at hurting Moscow’s military potential.

“Everything that inflicts losses on the Russian army, the Russian state, their military industrial complex and their economy – all this helps us to prevent the widening of the war,” Zelenskiy said.

On Monday, Ukraine’s ground forces commander, Oleksandr Pavliuk, said on Telegram that troops were “successfully fulfilling tasks” in the Kursk region and capturing Russian prisoners of war to be traded for imprisoned Ukrainian troops.

Pavliuk posted footage of a group of more than 10 people with their hands in the air walking along a road, as well as several more soldiers kneeling beside the road.

He did not say how many Russian prisoners had been taken.

Despite gains in Russia’s Kursk region, Ukrainian forces were on the defensive near the strategic eastern city of Pokrovsk, where Russia has steadily advanced in recent weeks.

The city, which had a pre-war population of around 60,000, is an important transport hub for Ukrainian supply lines in much of the eastern Donbas region.

Russian troops are now around 10 km from the outskirts of the city, according to Serhiy Dobriak, head of the local military administration.

In comments to Ukrainian media on Monday, he said up to 600 people were leaving on a daily basis, and that municipal services could be cut off within a week as Russian forces close in.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Beyond GTA VI: Why 2026 might be gaming’s best year yet

August 18, 2026

GEMS School Launch in Barka: A New Era for Education in Oman

August 18, 2026

The phone you can actually repair yourself is finally coming to the US

August 18, 2026

Dubai Summer Surprises: Weekly Events from August 18-23

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Ugreen’s latest travel adapter packs 100W, four ports, and a screen into one charger

August 18, 2026

Lujan Mourad, Director of KSQF – World Humanitarian Day

August 18, 2026

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.