Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Lujan Mourad, Director of KSQF – World Humanitarian Day

August 18, 2026

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s Playlist Notes make it easier to add context to your favorite picks

August 18, 2026

YouTube is making view counts bigger, but creators aren’t getting any richer

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Russia says Ukraine has hit third bridge in assault on Kursk region – News
World

Russia says Ukraine has hit third bridge in assault on Kursk region – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 20, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Moscow said on Monday Ukraine had struck a third bridge in an assault on Russia’s Kursk region which Kyiv says is aimed at carving out a buffer zone and wearing down Russia’s war machine.

Ukraine says it has seized over 80 settlements in an area covering more than 1,150 square km of Kursk since its surprise strike on the Russian region on Aug. 6, the biggest invasion of Russia since World War Two.


But Ukrainian forces are on the defensive elsewhere and face a battle to protect the strategic eastern city of Pokrovsk, where Russia has steadily advanced in recent weeks in heavy fighting more than two years since Russia’s full-scale invasion.

“We are achieving our goals,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy wrote of the two-week-old incursion into Kursk on the Telegram messaging app on Monday, adding that more Russian soldiers had been taken prisoner.






Russia said a third bridge had been struck and damaged on the Seym River that winds through the Kursk region bordering northeastern Ukraine.

Ukraine has not yet commented on the strike, but Kyiv’s air force chief has previously said his forces have destroyed two bridges to weaken enemy logistics.

Military analysts said the bridges were part of critical supply lines for Russian troops defending the area. Reuters could not independently confirm the damage to the bridges or the battlefield situation in Kursk.

Zelenskiy said on Sunday his troops were unleashing what he described as “maximum counteroffensive actions” aimed at creating a buffer zone and hurting Moscow’s military potential.

“Everything that inflicts losses on the Russian army, the Russian state, their military industrial complex and their economy – all this helps us to prevent the widening of the war,” Zelenskiy said.

More than 121,000 people have been evacuated from nine border districts in the Kursk region, Russia’s emergencies ministry said.

Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov said Moscow was not ready to hold peace talks with Ukraine for now, given Kyiv’s Kursk attack. Ukraine has demanded a full withdrawal of Russian troops from its territory before it sits down for any talks.

Push towards Pokrovsk

Ukrainian forces face a tough battle near Pokrovsk, a transport hub for Ukrainian forces. Russian troops are now around 10 km (six miles) from the outskirts of the city, said Serhiy Dobriak, head of the local military administration.

He said up to 600 people were leaving on a daily basis, and that municipal services could be cut off within a week as Russian forces close in.

Regional governor Vadym Filashkin said a curfew in settlements close to Pokrovsk had been tightened and the situation was “very difficult”.

Ukraine’s top general said Kyiv was also “doing everything necessary” to defend the eastern city of Toretsk as Moscow tries to threaten Ukrainian supply lines. Russia said its forces had captured the nearby town of Zalizne.

The war, which has killed tens of thousands and devastated cities across Ukraine, shows no sign of letting up. Kyiv expects Moscow to boost its forces in Ukraine by year’s end to 800,000, up from around 600,000 now, Ukrainian Deputy Defence Minister Ivan Havryliuk told Ukrainian media.

Ukraine has been backed by arms from its allies but is worried that support may drop as the war grinds on.

Britain reiterated support for Ukraine on Monday, and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to visit Kyiv on Aug. 23.

But German defence stocks fell on Monday after a newspaper said the finance ministry would not approve additional applications for Ukraine military aid because of budget constraints.

A German finance ministry spokesperson later said Berlin was working intensively with its Group of Seven partners on a plan to make loans available for military support for Ukraine, funded by the proceeds of frozen Russian assets.

In a new sign of tensions over explosions in 2022 that ruptured the Nord Stream gas pipelines transporting gas under the Baltic Sea, Russia’s RIA news agency said Moscow had complained to Germany over its investigation into the incident.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Samsung’s cheaper Galaxy S26 FE may get one camera feature I absolutely loved

August 18, 2026

Mobility Research – Millennials Aged 30-40 Lead UAE Car-Sharing Trend

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s Playlist Notes make it easier to add context to your favorite picks

August 18, 2026

YouTube is making view counts bigger, but creators aren’t getting any richer

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Viture Pro 2 review: Affordable glasses that I loved more for work than play

August 18, 2026

Apple just accidentally revealed its camera-equipped AirPods

August 18, 2026

CMF’s next earbuds are coming, and I have a pretty good guess what they are

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.