Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Rasasi Expands Its Global Hawas Collection with the Launch of Hawas Gold Digger

August 17, 2026

Cracking your Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra screen could cost $639, so handle it carefully

August 17, 2026

Union Coop and ABER Launch Mobile Vehicle Inspection Service

August 17, 2026

The US is trying to kick foreign robots out, but the local supply chain might not be there yet

August 17, 2026

Dubai Summer Surprises Gives Back-to-School Shoppers More Ways to Save, Shop and Win

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Sudan rejects call for ‘impartial’ force to protect civilians – News
World

Sudan rejects call for ‘impartial’ force to protect civilians – News

By dailyguardian.aeSeptember 9, 20242 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sudan has rejected a call by UN experts for the deployment of an “independent and impartial force” to protect millions of civilians driven from their homes by more than a year of war.

The conflict since April last year, pitting the army against paramilitary forces, has killed tens of thousands of people and triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.


The independent UN experts said on Friday their fact-finding mission had uncovered “harrowing” violations by both sides, “which may amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity”.

They called for “an independent and impartial force with a mandate to safeguard civilians” to be deployed “without delay”.



The Sudanese Foreign Ministry, which is loyal to the army under General Abdel Fattah Al Burhan, said in a statement late on Saturday that “the Sudanese government rejects in their entirety the recommendations of the UN mission”.

It called the UN Human Rights Council, which created the fact-finding mission last year, “a political and illegal body”, and the panel’s recommendations “a flagrant violation of their mandate”.

The UN experts said eight million civilians have been displaced and another two million people have fled to neighbouring countries.

More than 25 million people — upwards of half the country’s population — face acute food shortages.

World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, on a visit to Sudan on Sunday, said: “The scale of the emergency is shocking, as is the insufficient action being taken to curtail the conflict and respond to the suffering it is causing.”

In Port Sudan, where government offices and the United Nations have relocated to due to the intense fighting in the capital Khartoum, Tedros called on the “world to wake up and help Sudan out of the nightmare it is living through”.

The Sudanese Foreign Ministry statement accused the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, led by Burhan’s former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, of “systematically targeting civilians and civilian institutions”.

“The protection of civilians remains an absolute priority for the Sudanese government,” it said.

The statement added that the UN Human Rights Council’s role should be “to support the national process, rather than seek to impose a different exterior mechanism”.

It also rejected the experts’ call for an arms embargo.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Cracking your Galaxy Z Fold 8 Ultra screen could cost $639, so handle it carefully

August 17, 2026

Union Coop and ABER Launch Mobile Vehicle Inspection Service

August 17, 2026

The US is trying to kick foreign robots out, but the local supply chain might not be there yet

August 17, 2026

Dubai Summer Surprises Gives Back-to-School Shoppers More Ways to Save, Shop and Win

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

A random TikTok video helped scientists discover a rare underground fish in India

August 17, 2026

UAE National Amer Al Ahbabi appointed to the AACSB Business Influencer Council

August 17, 2026

MelGeek MADE68 Ultra V2 Review: Great for gaming, even better than I expected for typing

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.