Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Wealth Planning for Longer Lives: Embracing Fluidity

August 18, 2026

Spotify’s new Running Mode takes workout playlists to another level

August 18, 2026

Trojan Construction and Khalifa University Sign MoU for Talent Development

August 18, 2026

Beyond GTA VI: Why 2026 might be gaming’s best year yet

August 18, 2026

GEMS School Launch in Barka: A New Era for Education in Oman

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Thousands without power as Ernesto exits Bermuda – News
World

Thousands without power as Ernesto exits Bermuda – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 18, 20242 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Hurricane Ernesto lashed Bermuda with heavy rains and strong winds on Saturday, leaving much of the British Atlantic Ocean territory without power before continuing on its path toward eastern Canada.

The hurricane, which hit Puerto Rico earlier this week, was “inching away from Bermuda” but still creating powerful tropical storm conditions as of Saturday evening, according to the US-based National Hurricane Center.


It made landfall at 5.30am local time packing maximum sustained winds of 137kmph the NHC said.

“We continue to pass through the southwestern quadrant of Ernesto,” the Bermuda Weather Service said on Saturday evening, adding that the island was “experiencing occasional squally showers” and warning that seas would remain hazardous through the night.






Ernesto was located some 85 miles northeast of the island as of 6pm local time and expected to dump 175 to 225 millimetres of rain on Bermuda overall.

“This rainfall will likely result in considerable life-threatening flash flooding to the island, especially in low-lying areas,” the NHC said.

The storm had left nearly 26,000 customers without electricity, Bermuda’s power firm Belco reported, or more than 70 per cent of its customers on the island with a population of 64,000.

Images on social media showed downed trees blocking roads, power lines damaged by the storm’s high winds and flooded roads.

Ahead of the storm’s arrival, Bermudians prepared on Friday by hauling boats out of the ocean, boarding up windows, filling bathtubs with water, and stocking up on batteries and food supplies.

“Even though we have been downgraded from hurricane to tropical storm, we must remember that some gusts will be intense,” Minister of National Security Michael Weeks said on Saturday, according to The Royal Gazette newspaper.

“There are a lot of downed wires and foliage, so the situation can be dangerous,” he added.

Some key roads were closed and bus and ferry services were suspended, the paper said.

Bermuda’s L.F. Wade International Airport said it would remain shut until Sunday after the storm had passed.

Ernesto was moving northeast and expected to slowly depart Bermuda on Saturday and move near or east of Newfoundland in eastern Canada on Monday night, the NHC said.

It warned that dangerous beach conditions are expected along the US East Coast through next week.



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Spotify’s new Running Mode takes workout playlists to another level

August 18, 2026

Trojan Construction and Khalifa University Sign MoU for Talent Development

August 18, 2026

Beyond GTA VI: Why 2026 might be gaming’s best year yet

August 18, 2026

GEMS School Launch in Barka: A New Era for Education in Oman

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

The phone you can actually repair yourself is finally coming to the US

August 18, 2026

Dubai Summer Surprises: Weekly Events from August 18-23

August 18, 2026

Ugreen’s latest travel adapter packs 100W, four ports, and a screen into one charger

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.