Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

GEMS students deliver another exceptional year of GCSE results, with a third of entries securing top grades

August 20, 2026

Just got a Pixel 11? These are the best accessories I’d put my money on

August 20, 2026

Beautyworld Dubai Returns: Global Makeup Icons to Headline

August 20, 2026

Meta’s smart glasses are the latest weapon for school bullies

August 20, 2026

The minimalist phone is slowly turning back into a smartphone

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Turkey govt to meet Instagram officials after access ban – News
World

Turkey govt to meet Instagram officials after access ban – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 6, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Turkey’s government will hold talks with Instagram officials after blocking access to the social media platform last week, Transport and Infrastructure Minister Abdulkadir Uraloglu said in a post on X.

The move came after a senior Turkish official accused Instagram of blocking condolence posts following the assassination of Ismail Haniyeh, leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas.


Uraloglu said Turkey had expressed certain sensitivities regarding compliance with Turkish laws in a previous meeting with representatives of Instagram last week.

“As a result of the block to Instagram in Türkiye, millions of people are being deprived of their everyday ways of connecting with family and friends, and businesses are no longer able to reach their customers in the same way,” said a spokesperson for Meta, which owns the social media platform.






“We will continue to do everything we can to restore our services.”

Turkey’s Head of Communications Fahrettin Altun on Wednesday criticised Instagram for alleged “censorship, pure and simple” over what he called its decision to bar condolence posts for Haniyeh after his killing in Iran’s capital Tehran on July 31.

Iran and Hamas have accused Israel of carrying out the strike that killed Haniyeh hours after he attended the inauguration of Iran’s new president. Israel has not claimed responsibility.

Turkey ranks fifth in the world in terms of Instagram usage, with more than 57 million users, following India, the US, Brazil and Indonesia, according to data platform Statista.

Thousands of people on X protested the access ban, with Turkish hashtags that translate as “accessban, bringinstagramback, ecommercehalted” on the top trending list in Turkey since the ban.

Among those unhappy with the ban was 34-year-old Basak, who runs a handmade jewellery design account on Instagram with more than 30,000 followers, saying it had disrupted her business.

“Some of my customers contacted me by accessing Instagram through VPN and other social media platforms, but my chance of accessing new people and potential customers stopped immediately,” she said.

“My sales dropped. If this (access ban) continues, it is not possible for me to get by, as I cannot reach a wider audience.”

Internet monitor NetBlocks estimates the Instagram access ban cost some $11.5 million daily to the Turkish economy.

Turkish e-commerce businesses association ETID estimates that Turkish businesses generate some 900 million lira ($27 million) in revenue from Instagram daily, vice chairman Emre Ekmekci said.

If the ban continues, there will be a gradual shift in both sellers and users to other platforms, he said.

“We are hopeful the meeting will be positive and the parties will be able to find a solution. This is not just a political issue, there is also a commercial impact.”



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Just got a Pixel 11? These are the best accessories I’d put my money on

August 20, 2026

Beautyworld Dubai Returns: Global Makeup Icons to Headline

August 20, 2026

Meta’s smart glasses are the latest weapon for school bullies

August 20, 2026

The minimalist phone is slowly turning back into a smartphone

August 20, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

7X and UAEV approve first six EV charging station sites across NXN facilities

August 20, 2026

Sennheiser just made earbuds you don’t have to throw away when the battery dies

August 20, 2026

Tech Mahindra and ServiceNow Expand Partnership to Deliver Production-Ready Enterprise AI at Scale

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.