Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Qiddiya and Google Cloud Collaborate to Power One of the World’s Largest Entertainment Projects with AI

May 18, 2026

Maybe, ditch Gemini and ChatGPT for your AI images. Try an alternative that I jut came across

May 18, 2026

UAE Artists Revive UN Hymn for Global Peace

May 18, 2026

Discover Bombay Zaika: Multi-Cuisine Fine Dining in Sharjah

May 18, 2026

Sony wants you to know the new Xperia phone’s AI camera is not that bad

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Verizon and AT&T confirm cyberattacks, assure networks are in clear
Technology

Verizon and AT&T confirm cyberattacks, assure networks are in clear

By dailyguardian.aeDecember 30, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

In the wake of cyberattacks by cyber-intrusion groups, both AT&T and Verizon have confirmed that their systems have now recovered and are operating safely. In separate press notes attributed to Reuters and Bloomberg, both major telecom operators cleared that they worked with law enforcement authorities to mitigate the harm from state-linked threats tied to espionage activities

As per the U.S. government, at least nine telecom labels have come under attacks from Salt Typhoon, a Chinese-linked cyberespionage operation. So far, the true extent of the attack on the two aforementioned carriers has not been made public knowledge, but it seems the threat was targeted.

The FBI and CISA jointly confirmed the attacks on American telecom infrastructure in October. Verizon was reported to have been under attack by BBC, with Donald Trump and Senator JD Vance listed as the potential targets for the bad actors.


Please enable Javascript to view this content

In September, The Wall Street Journal reported that state-linked threat actors tried to break into broadband networks with the intention of gaining covert access to the infrastructure and data. A few weeks later, the outlet reported that federal authorities have started investigating attacks against the likes of Verizon, AT&T, and Lumen, originating from the Salt Typhoon group.

“The hackers may have essentially been able to spy on the U.S. government’s efforts to surveil Chinese threats, including the FBI’s investigations,” said the report. In its statement shared with Bloomberg, AT&T confirmed that the threat actors tried to extract information about foreign intelligence.

Earlier this month, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) also issued a broad set of mobile communication safety guidelines for senior government officials, politicians, and other high-value targets in the wake of state-linked cyber espionage.

Verizon also told Bloomberg that “a small number of high-profile customers in government and politics” were in the crosshairs of the cyber attacks. As of today, the carriers assure that their systems are free of the looming threat of state-linked cyberthreat activities.

Microsoft, which is also working with officials on the latest set of attacks, notes in its dashboard that the Salt Typhoon threat originates in China and also goes by names like GhostEmperor and FamousSparrow.

Notably, the company has previously grappled with another similar operation, Silk Typhoon, which targeted “healthcare, law firms, higher education, defense contractors, policy think tanks, and non-governmental organization (NGOs)” in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Notably, this won’t be the first attack on AT&T in 2024. Earlier this year, AT&T confirmed that stolen data was dumped on the dark web, covering over 7 million active accounts and more than 65 million past subscribers. A few months later, the carrier also confirmed that customer data, including message and call records, was also stolen from a third-party cloud platform.











Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Maybe, ditch Gemini and ChatGPT for your AI images. Try an alternative that I jut came across

Sony wants you to know the new Xperia phone’s AI camera is not that bad

Google’s Rambler could turn voice typing into something I don’t hate

OpenAI is giving ChatGPT Plus subcription to a whole country

Valve’s Steam Controller just got a lot more useful outside Steam

Siri is years late to the AI party, but it’s iOS 27 overhaul could still be a beta experience

Siri’s rebirth in iOS 27 will might offer an auto-delete perk for your AI chats

Japan built robot wolves to thwart bear attack, and they’re flying off the shelves

Kenya tells Microsoft that $1 billion AI data center would gulp half the country’s electricity

Editors Picks

Maybe, ditch Gemini and ChatGPT for your AI images. Try an alternative that I jut came across

May 18, 2026

UAE Artists Revive UN Hymn for Global Peace

May 18, 2026

Discover Bombay Zaika: Multi-Cuisine Fine Dining in Sharjah

May 18, 2026

Sony wants you to know the new Xperia phone’s AI camera is not that bad

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

PG One Handover: A Win for Dubai’s Real Estate Market

May 18, 2026

AD Ports Group Announces Formation of UAE’s First Shipbuilders Consortium

May 18, 2026

GPCA Welcomes Dr. Faisal M. Alfaqeer as New Chairman

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.