Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

New report says Meta pays influencers to fight social media bans for teens accounts worldwide

August 19, 2026

Supreme put its box logo on JBL’s tiny speakers, because just red wasn’t enough

August 19, 2026

MEES 2026 Returns to Dubai, Bringing Together the Region’s Events Community to Shape What Comes Next

August 19, 2026

Cosori Iconic review: The best-looking air fryer your countertop deserves

August 19, 2026

MBRF participates in Istanbul International Arabic Book Fair 2026

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Where Mideast parties stand on Biden’s Gaza truce plan – News
World

Where Mideast parties stand on Biden’s Gaza truce plan – News

By dailyguardian.aeAugust 13, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

US President Joe Biden announced in late May a three-phase plan to end the war in Gaza, a proposal that Hamas wants to see implemented rather than enter new talks starting Thursday as Israel has agreed.

The plan, which Biden described as an Israeli proposal, has already seen intense deliberations over the past several weeks, even as the war in Gaza raged.


Last week, Israel — which has been slow to publicly embrace the deal — said it was ready for new talks on the proposal.

But just days later, it carried out a deadly strike on a Gaza school housing displaced people, killing at least 93, according to rescuers in the Palestinian territory.






The Israeli military says the strike killed 19 Palestinian militants, while Israeli news website Walla, quoting the military, reported that 38 militants were killed.

Israel’s move to enter a new round of talks, likely to be held in either Cairo or Doha, also came less than two weeks after Hamas’s political leader, Ismail Haniyeh, who had been overseeing the ceasefire negotiations, was killed in Tehran in a strike widely blamed on Israel.

Below are the details of the plan and the statements of parties and brokers since Haniyeh’s killing.

Biden said the first phase includes a “full and complete ceasefire” lasting six weeks, with Israeli forces withdrawing from “all populated areas of Gaza”.

Hamas would release “a number” of hostages, including US citizens, captured in the October 7 attacks on Israel, including women, the elderly and the wounded. The remains of some hostages who had been killed would also be returned.

Hundreds of Palestinian prisoners would be released in exchange.

Palestinian civilians would be allowed to return to their “homes and neighbourhoods” throughout Gaza, much of which has been devastated by Israeli bombing.

Humanitarian aid would “surge” to 600 trucks a day entering Gaza, while the international community would deliver hundreds of thousands of temporary shelters and housing units.

During the initial six-week period, Israel and Hamas would “negotiate the necessary arrangements to get to phase two, which is a permanent end to hostilities”.

The ceasefire would also be extended as negotiations continue, with brokers the United States, Egypt and Qatar working to ensure they hold, Biden said.

Israeli forces would completely withdraw from Gaza under the second phase of the plan, lasting another six weeks.

Hamas would release “all remaining living hostages”, including male Israeli soldiers. This has been a key sticking point for Hamas in the past.

If both sides keep to the deal, it will lead to the “cessation of hostilities permanently”, Biden quoted the proposal as saying.

A major reconstruction and stabilisation plan for Gaza would begin, backed by the US and the international community.

Biden said he would also work with regional partners to ensure it happens in a way that “does not allow Hamas to re-arm”.

The reconstruction phase would take between three and five years, a senior US official said.

The final remains of any hostages who had been killed would be returned in the third phase.

Biden said that if Hamas “fails to fulfil its commitments under the deal, Israel can resume military operations”.

Netanyahu has repeatedly said that the best way to secure the release of hostages is to keep applying military pressure on Hamas.

Biden, however, added that Egypt and Qatar would work to ensure Hamas sticks to the terms, while the United States would do the same for Israel.

Late on Sunday, Hamas said that any further talks would basically “provide cover for the occupation (Israel) and give it more time to perpetuate the war of genocide against” Gazans.

Israel has yet to respond to Hamas’s latest calls for the deal to be implemented.

Mediator Qatar was quick to criticise Israel following the killing of Haniyeh.

“Political assassinations & continued targeting of civilians in Gaza while talks continue leads us to ask, how can mediation succeed when one party assassinates the negotiator on other side? Peace needs serious partners,” Qatar’s Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani said on X, hours after Haniyeh’s assassination.

bur-sbh-jd/jsa



Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Supreme put its box logo on JBL’s tiny speakers, because just red wasn’t enough

August 19, 2026

MEES 2026 Returns to Dubai, Bringing Together the Region’s Events Community to Shape What Comes Next

August 19, 2026

Cosori Iconic review: The best-looking air fryer your countertop deserves

August 19, 2026

MBRF participates in Istanbul International Arabic Book Fair 2026

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

The Best Ergonomic Office Chairs in 2026

August 18, 2026

ADREC releases the Abu Dhabi Real Estate Market Report for H1 2026

August 18, 2026

ChatGPT is getting a teen version, and I have a lot of questions

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.