Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

AZIZI DEVELOPMENTS ACCELERATES AZIZI VENICE WITH 24/7 CONSTRUCTION

August 17, 2026

Meta and Google just got beaten by an AI giant you might not expect

August 17, 2026

I found a better way to dictate on my Mac, and it doesn’t need the cloud

August 17, 2026

Mac users now have an easier way to install apps from DMG files

August 17, 2026

Your holiday photos could help scammers figure out exactly where you are

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Philippines sends replacement ship to Sabina Shoal, vows continued presence – News
World

Philippines sends replacement ship to Sabina Shoal, vows continued presence – News

By dailyguardian.aeSeptember 15, 20243 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Philippines said it was sending a vessel to Sabina Shoal to replace a coast guard ship that returned to port on Sunday after a five-month deployment at the contested feature in the South China Sea, in a swap that would likely irk China.

Beijing had demanded the Philippines withdraw the 97-metre coast guard vessel Teresa Magbanua it claimed was “illegally stranded” at the atoll, which it asserts it owns as part of its broader claim to nearly the entire South China Sea.


“The Philippine side’s actions have seriously infringed on China’s territorial sovereignty,” Liu Dejun, a spokesperson for China’s coast guard said in a statement on Sunday about what it referred to as Manila’s “withdrawal” of its ship.

Teresa Magbanua, which was deployed at Sabina Shoal to monitor what Manila suspects to be China’s small-scale land reclamation activities in the area, has returned to port as its mission has been accomplished, the Philippine Coast Guard and National Maritime Council (NMC) said.



“Another will immediately take over,” NMC spokesperson Alexander Lopez said, citing an order from the Philippine Coast Guard chief. “Definitely, we will keep our presence there.”

Sabina Shoal, which China refers to as Xianbin Reef and the Philippines as the Escoda Shoal, lies 150km west of the Philippine province of Palawan, well within the country’s exclusive economic zone.

Teresa Magbanua’s presence there has angered Beijing, turning the shoal into the latest flashpoint in the contested waterway.

Manila and Beijing have traded accusations of intentional ramming of each others’ vessels near Sabina last month, just after reaching a pact on resupply missions to a beached Filipino naval ship in the Second Thomas Shoal.

Teresa Magbanua’s return was necessary for the medical needs of its crew and to undergo repairs, and once it has been resupplied and repaired, it will resume its mission, along with other coast guard and military assets “as defenders of our sovereignty,” Lucas Bersamin, executive secretary and NMC chairman said in a statement.

The move followed high-level talks between Manila and Beijing in China last week where the Philippines reaffirmed its position on Sabina and China reiterated its demand that the vessel be withdrawn.

China’s coast guard said it would continue to carry out law enforcement activities in the waters under Beijing’s jurisdiction in accordance with the law and safeguard its territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests.

China claims sovereignty over most of the South China Sea, overlapping into maritime zones of Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam.

In 2016 the Hague arbitration tribunal voided China’s expansive and historical claims, a decision Beijing rejects.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

Meta and Google just got beaten by an AI giant you might not expect

August 17, 2026

I found a better way to dictate on my Mac, and it doesn’t need the cloud

August 17, 2026

Mac users now have an easier way to install apps from DMG files

August 17, 2026

Your holiday photos could help scammers figure out exactly where you are

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

I tried a smart bracelet as my digital journal and mood calendar. It’s odd, but it works.

August 17, 2026

Intel may be cooking up a budget Panther Lake chip for gaming handhelds

August 17, 2026

ChatGPT’s Computer History has one big privacy problem

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.