Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

Dubai Summer Surprises Gives Back-to-School Shoppers More Ways to Save, Shop and Win

August 17, 2026

A random TikTok video helped scientists discover a rare underground fish in India

August 17, 2026

UAE National Amer Al Ahbabi appointed to the AACSB Business Influencer Council

August 17, 2026

MelGeek MADE68 Ultra V2 Review: Great for gaming, even better than I expected for typing

August 17, 2026

Wellness Redefined: Thailand’s Leading Role in Global Travel

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Malawi villagers cook toxic yams to survive drought – News
World

Malawi villagers cook toxic yams to survive drought – News

By dailyguardian.aeSeptember 9, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

In the worst drought in southern Africa in a century, villagers in Malawi are digging for potentially poisonous wild yams to eat as their crops lie scorched in the fields.

“Our situation is very dire; we are starving,” said 76-year-old grandmother Manesi Levison as she watched over a pot of bitter, orange wild yams that she says must cook for eight hours to remove the toxins.


“Sometimes the kids go for two days without any food,” she said.

Levison has 30 grandchildren under her care. Ten are huddled under the thatched roof of her home at Salima, near Lake Malawi, while she boils up the unpalatable yams known locally as mpama.



“It is a root that grows in the wild which we dig up so that the kids can at least have something to eat for the day,” Levison said.

“People have died or fallen sick from eating this, so you have to make sure that it cooks for a really long time, all the time replacing the cooking water so as to remove the poison.”

The rains stopped in this part of Malawi in April and the crops burnt in the fields, Levison said.

The next harvest is due in March, said the headman of the village of 1,000 people about 80km northeast of the capital Lilongwe.

“People here are distressed because of hunger and the situation is really desperate,” Samuel Benjamin said.

Malawi is one of the world’s poorest countries and most of its people depend on rain-fed agriculture for food.

This year’s drought, exacerbated by the El Nino weather phenomenon, is affecting 44 per cent of Malawi’s crop area and up to 40 per cent of its population of 20.4 million, the World Food Programme (WFP) has said.

About 5.7 million people will need help to get enough to eat between October and March, according to Malawi’s Department of Disaster Management Affairs.

The situation is equally dire around 250km south of Salima in the Chikwawa area, near the commercial capital Blantyre.

“In a good year, we usually harvest 21 bags of maize,” said 72-year-old villager Wyson Malonda. “But this year we harvested absolutely nothing.”

“However, we did not give up. We planted drought-resistant millet but that too did not yield,” he said.

His wife Mainesi Malonda, 68, says villagers here and in the entire Shire Valley region have resorted to eating a wild water lily tuber known as nyika.

These tubers are not toxic, but grow in crocodile-infested areas along the Shire River.

The drought slashed this year’s maize crop in Malawi by 23 per cent from that of last year, said WFP country director Paul Turnbull.

It is the third consecutive year of poor harvest after damage caused by Tropical Storm Anna in 2022 and Cyclone Freddy in 2023.

Impacts of El Nino include a 40 per cent increase in moderate cases of acute malnutrition in children aged under five and a 23 per cent increase in severe cases, the WFP said in its July brief.

President Lazarus Chakwera appealed for $200 million in food aid in March when he declared a state of natural disaster in 23 of Malawi’s 28 districts because of the drought.

“It would have been catastrophic even if this were the first disaster in recent years,” Chakwera said.

The disaster management department is using government and international aid to buy and distribute maize to affected communities in a programme that will cost about $1.1 million, said director Charles Kalemba.

“We will also do cash transfers to the affected communities from mid-September starting with the most affected districts,” he said.

Five countries in southern Africa have declared a state of national disaster over the El Nino-induced dry spell — a disaster affecting at least 27 million people in a region where many rely on agriculture to survive, according to the WFP.


Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

A random TikTok video helped scientists discover a rare underground fish in India

August 17, 2026

UAE National Amer Al Ahbabi appointed to the AACSB Business Influencer Council

August 17, 2026

MelGeek MADE68 Ultra V2 Review: Great for gaming, even better than I expected for typing

August 17, 2026

Wellness Redefined: Thailand’s Leading Role in Global Travel

August 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

OnePlus 16 could get a display that finally puts Samsung on notice

August 17, 2026

UAE’s PropTech sector to reach AED 5.95 billion by 2032

August 17, 2026

I’ve waited far too long for Pixels to get this stupidly simple gesture

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.