Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
What's On

X-Sense SC07 and SCO7W Review: Reliable, affordable, and peace of mind

August 21, 2026

I upgraded from the M1 to the M5 MacBook Air, and the speakers got worse

August 21, 2026

ChatGPT can now read your Apple Messages chats on Mac

August 21, 2026

GTA 6 may have a second leaker with access to internal files

August 21, 2026

Arada’s First Gold Coast Project: A Gateway to Luxury Living

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Finance Pro
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Daily Guardian UAE
Subscribe
  • Home
  • UAE
  • What’s On
  • Business
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Web Stories
  • More
    • Editor’s Picks
    • Press Release
Daily Guardian UAEDaily Guardian UAE
Home » Trump shooter posted violent content online, FBI official says – News
World

Trump shooter posted violent content online, FBI official says – News

By dailyguardian.aeJuly 31, 20244 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The man who tried to assassinate Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump appears to have posted violent antisemitic and anti-immigration content online as a teenager, a senior FBI official told a US Senate hearing on Tuesday.

FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate at the hearing revealed the existence of the social media account, which dated to 2019-2020 – when Thomas Crooks, who authorities have identified as the shooter, would have been 15 or 16 years old. It is some of the first evidence to become public about a potential motive in the July 13 attack at a campaign rally in western Pennsylvania.


“Something just very recently uncovered that I want to share is a social media account which is believed to be associated with the shooter in about the 2019-2020 time frame,” Abbate told lawmakers, adding that more than 700 comments were posted by the account.

“Some of these comments, if ultimately attributable to the shooter, appear to reflect antisemitic and anti-immigration themes to espouse political violence and are described as extreme in nature,” Abbate said.






Crooks, who was 20, shot at Trump with an AR-15-style rifle during the rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, wounding the former president’s ear, killing one rally attendee and wounding two others. Secret Service snipers killed Crooks after he opened fire.

Investigators have described Crooks as a loner with no close friends and a social network limited mainly to immediate family members.

The first shooting of a US president or major party candidate in more than four decades was a glaring security lapse that led last week to former Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle’s resignation under bipartisan congressional pressure.

Her immediate successor, Acting Secret Service Director Ronald Rowe, told lawmakers that he visited the outdoor rally site in Butler and climbed onto the roof of a nearby building from which Crooks fired.

“What I saw made me ashamed,” Rowe told a joint hearing of the Senate Homeland Security and Judiciary Committees. “As a career law enforcement officer, and a 25-year veteran with the Secret Service, I cannot defend why that roof was not better secured.”

Rowe sought to assure lawmakers that he has since taken steps to prevent similar lapses from occurring amid concerns among both Democrats and Republicans about further political violence as the campaign intensifies ahead of the Nov. 5 U.S. election.

Crooks flew a drone near the rally site ahead of his assassination attempt, a flight that officials failed to detect because a system designed to detect drones was not working properly due to problems with cellular network bandwidth, Rowe said.

The Secret Service, a federal law enforcement agency whose duties including protecting the president and certain other top political figures, has added six people to its protection list since July 13, including Republican vice presidential candidate JD Vance and his family and independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy, while reinforcing security details, Rowe said.

“This attack was a shocking reminder that the threat of political violence is alive and well in our country. By all accounts, this was inexcusable security, and planning failure,” Democratic Senate Homeland Security Chairman Gary Peters said, adding that his panel is working on reforms to strengthen security protocols for the Secret Service.

Senator Rand Paul, the committee’s top Republican, said his staff had found communication gaps between local police who first noticed Crooks and the Secret Service.

Rowe said that Secret Service counter snipers and members of the Trump security detail had no knowledge that there was a man with a firearm on the roof of a nearby building.

The attempted assassination is the topic of multiple investigations by House and Senate committees, as well as a new bipartisan task force.







Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Teenager stabbed 50 times, burned alive in Marseille: Prosecutors – News

Starmer says Israel-Hamas war hit Britain’s community ties – News

Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson refuses to say Trump lost 2020 election – News

Trump on the stump, Harris hits airwaves in razor-edge US election – News

India’s ruling party set to lose two state elections, exit polls show – News

Shooting attack in Israel: One killed, 10 injured as gunman opens fire at bus station – News

Tens of thousands protest in Morocco ahead of October 7 Israel attack anniversary – News

Tunisians vote in election, with main rival to President Saied in prison – News

Iran’s Khamenei decorates commander for Israel attack – News

Editors Picks

I upgraded from the M1 to the M5 MacBook Air, and the speakers got worse

August 21, 2026

ChatGPT can now read your Apple Messages chats on Mac

August 21, 2026

GTA 6 may have a second leaker with access to internal files

August 21, 2026

Arada’s First Gold Coast Project: A Gateway to Luxury Living

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest UAE news and updates directly to your inbox.

Latest Posts

Wave Browser Links Everyday Browsing to Ocean Cleanup

August 21, 2026

U.S. users can now vibe-code and share mini-games with Meta’s Pocket app

August 21, 2026

One-third of the web is showing signs of AI authorship, thanks to ChatGPT

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 Daily Guardian UAE. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.